"In Africa, you do not view death from the auditorium of life, as a spectator, but from the edge of the stage, waiting only for your cue. You feel perishable, temporary, transient. You feel mortal. Maybe that is why you seem to live more vividly in Africa. The drama of life there is amplified by its constant proximity to death. That's what infuses it with tension. It is the essence of its tragedy too. People love harder there. Love is the way that life forgets that it is terminal. Love is life's alibi in the face of death."
--Peter Godwin

Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh how I loathe packing.

Packing for Africa, attempt number 2. I've switched from the folding method to the rolling method in order to maximize luggage space.

The snow outside is motivating me onward as I dream of my upcoming leap into summer. I'll arrive in Johannesburg at 6:30pm local time Sunday, January 10 after an 18+ hour flight from Boston by way of DC and Dakar.

I will send updates once I have arrived, hydrated, and found internet.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read updates! You're so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i discovered those space saving vacuum bags and used them ... AMAZING. I packed all my stuff, looked at it half empty, and packed a ton of things like food and books just for the heck of it since I had the room! Do it next time!

    ReplyDelete