"In Africa, you do not view death from the auditorium of life, as a spectator, but from the edge of the stage, waiting only for your cue. You feel perishable, temporary, transient. You feel mortal. Maybe that is why you seem to live more vividly in Africa. The drama of life there is amplified by its constant proximity to death. That's what infuses it with tension. It is the essence of its tragedy too. People love harder there. Love is the way that life forgets that it is terminal. Love is life's alibi in the face of death."
--Peter Godwin

Friday, March 5, 2010

Birth


Yesterday I saw my first live birth. I was visiting a hospital near downtown Johannesburg to negotiate referral linkages for the new Post-Natal Clinic when we heard a shout down the corridor. A nurse ran off to attend to the patient in labor, and my co-worker reminded me that I wanted to see a birth and here was my opportunity.
Next thing I knew I had donned scrubs, and was watching a naked woman lying silently (yes, silent, save for a few grunts) on a bed as she delivered a baby girl. I do not consider myself a squeamish person though I must admit, I was feeling quite lightheaded watching this miracle of life and had midwifes and doctors alike shouting at me to "Breathe!" 
All in all it was an amazing experience, and even more amazing was bearing witness to the grit that black South African women have when it comes to childbirth. No pain meds, no partner (or family) standing at her side, no screaming at all. The midwife said she will collect the baby after about 6 hours, hop on a bus and head home. Amazing.

Above is a picture of a visit to a special needs classroom at the primary school next door to the clinic, where I went with a few social workers on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. What a moving experience. You know when you have children that strong African woman will be in the back of your mind and you'll be brave. Graham is in Africa as of yesterday for a month. I love that I have people on the dark continent. Love you & thinking of you often. Tara

    ReplyDelete