"In Africa, you do not view death from the auditorium of life, as a spectator, but from the edge of the stage, waiting only for your cue. You feel perishable, temporary, transient. You feel mortal. Maybe that is why you seem to live more vividly in Africa. The drama of life there is amplified by its constant proximity to death. That's what infuses it with tension. It is the essence of its tragedy too. People love harder there. Love is the way that life forgets that it is terminal. Love is life's alibi in the face of death."
--Peter Godwin

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cooking lessons



I finished a book this morning called "29 Gifts" -- sentimental, easy reading but uplifting when you are in physical pain, as the author earnestly seeks gratitude while living with MS. I have been thinking all day on what I have to be grateful for, and who I can "gift", despite my limited interaction with human beings.
And yet, I can't help but wonder "why now?" Things were just starting to feel comfortable and almost easy in South Africa. I had exciting new opportunities; an offer to make healthy Mexican food at an outdoor organic market, the initiative to head up the Spanish conversation group, feeling really strong in my yoga practice, and a renewed energy at work. Schools had even started up again, and I was preparing for Sex Ed Part II to commence. (Did I mention the Part I lesson, which included 11 year-old girls asking me if it was okay to sleep with someone to prove they 'loved' them?)
All of the aforementioned activities have been put on indefinite hold and I am left with a gnawing restlessness. I understand the importance of slowing down and mindfulness -- don't get me wrong -- but why does it have to be forced upon me? And why now?
My best friend Heather and I have been scheming to take our annual friend-vacation together in December on my way back home, and I wonder how a half-leg cast will factor into the equation. I have decided to wait to purchase my final ticket home until I hear from the orthopedic surgeon next Thursday and find out if I need more surgery (please, God, no!).
In South Africa, especially the northern suburbs, populated by pockets the mostly-white-and-affluent, many people have live-in maids. In fact, many houses have domestic quarters, where gardeners and maids live full time. As ashamed as I feel admitting it, the lovely family I live with also have a maid named Mary, and for the past 6 months I have enjoyed the luxury of having my breakfast waiting for me, my clothes washed, ironed and folded daily and all the cleaning done for me. The past 5 days have afforded me the unforeseen opportunity of spending quite a bit of time with Mary. We have cooked together (me sitting with leg propped instructing and tasting, her doing the actual work) and while I feel incredibly privileged and uncomfortable being served in this way, I remain immensely grateful for her, my constant companion during long days at home. Now I am off to oversee another cooking lesson, as I prepare for a few friends and competitive game of Monopoly tonight.
PS: Two pictures, featuring: 1) Adorable kittens that have made me change my stubborn mind about cats and 2) Titled: An Image Never to be Seen Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment