"In Africa, you do not view death from the auditorium of life, as a spectator, but from the edge of the stage, waiting only for your cue. You feel perishable, temporary, transient. You feel mortal. Maybe that is why you seem to live more vividly in Africa. The drama of life there is amplified by its constant proximity to death. That's what infuses it with tension. It is the essence of its tragedy too. People love harder there. Love is the way that life forgets that it is terminal. Love is life's alibi in the face of death."
--Peter Godwin

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Good news/bad news


Above Left: Jacaranda trees fill the streets right now leaving a carpet of purple across the city.
Above Right: This is the public transport system in SA, taxis crammed full of people that stop at undesignated locations.
L: Patey and I with an image of my glorious cast and crutches.

I went to the doctor last week and he took off Cast #1, said I don't need a skin graft (good news) and that there is no way I would be able to travel in December (bad news) and then put on Cast #2. I go back on Monday to get this one taken off, the stitches out and a third cast put on. Argh.
More specifically, when I asked him about traveling he replied, "I don't think you understand the magnitude of this injury." I was about to respond when I started to swoon due to the sight of my massacred ankle and had to lie down.
Last week I returned to work for 2 half-days and I must say, I have never been so happy to be back. Being around people was good for my spirit, and forced me to take a hiatus from my pity party. It is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you have an unemployed, HIV-positive mother who has just been dumped by her boyfriend sitting across from you. I also picked up on an uniquely South African response to injury; almost every co-worker I came across gave me a minute of sympathy and then responded "But you'll be okay." Hearing this about ten times in one day alone had a significant affect on my outlook and I begin to feel pretty optimistic about my prognosis.
The patients at the clinic have responded similarly -- peeking into my office to inquire about my accident and wishing me a quick recovery. Tomorrow I am venturing back to the combined school for sexual violence prevention tomorrow having missed two weeks, and while I am nervous that the under-resourced facilities won't accommodate crutches, I am really looking forward to engaging in work that has been one of my highlights over the past year.
Speaking of which ... I finally bought my ticket home! I leave Joburg on 08 December, in time for World AIDS Day and the clinic's infamous Christmas party, complete with DJ and dancing this year (which I will do everything possible to participate in). Hard to believe that my time here is coming to a close in less than 7 weeks. But for now, I am focusing on the present, and enjoying my favorite things here albeit a bit slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment